Monday, April 26, 2010

Calebogie Classic

So it was now my first official race of the season at Calebogie, which is about an hour drive from Ottawa. The race was 77km around a 5.5km circuit, which made up for a 14 lap race. The race was a mix of the junior men and the senior 3 men so there was a decent field that showed up, about 35-40 riders. the race started off slow, with a few little attacks here and the but none of them that got more than 15seconds up the road. All eyes were on the one Cat 1 racer in the field who couldn't race senior 1-2 because of his american licence and therefore was in our race. Since I had no team mates in this race, I talked with this cat 1 rider in effort to organize a break. we attempted once but just the two of us couldn't stay away from the field with the strong winds. So I rested up for a few more laps in the pack trying to stay out of the wind until and opportunity opened up. A group 5 riders attacked and I decided to go with them. and this proved to be the break of the race as we quickly picked up 2:00 minutes on the field with about 5 laps to go. However people started to die in the break and with one lap to go there was me and two other riders. in the last lap the tension built as the three of us were trying to save of legs for the sprint. with about 700m to go in the race one of the other riders in the break launched and excellent surprise attack from behind which completely caught me off guard. He initially got a 20m gap on me but I rode hard giving it all I got and caught and passed him to win by about 15m at the line. It was a good tough race and I was happy to come off with the first win of the season for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment